Doug Bopst – From Felon to Finding Fitness to Becoming Free
Hello everyone! Welcome to the Its Emily Show!
Every now and again, you hear a story that shakes you to the core. It’s exactly what I felt when I met Doug Bopst. He went from being completely at rock bottom, having been a convicted felon and struggling with drug addiction to now being a world-leading fitness coach, author of three books, host of the Adversity Advantage Podcast, and mentor to many others who are trying to overcome adversity in their own lives.
Doug used his time away as an opportunity to reconnect with himself. Through this process, he began to see himself as more than just a felon but someone who had the potential to become great at anything he chose to pursue. His mission is to help others see the light at the end of the tunnel and overcome their own adversity so they can be happy and live their best lives possible.
Not only does Doug share his story with raw honesty, but he also shares how we can all use adversity in our lives as a tool for growth rather than a reason for us to give up or accept defeat. We explore the importance of focusing on small steps, giving yourself grace when things get tough, and how to build the confidence and resilience needed to come out stronger and better from the challenges you face. Let’s dive in.
Also in this episode:
- How Doug’s cellmate, Eric, helped save him.
- How your story can help others see the world differently.
- Using pain as a positive force in your life.
- Reconnecting with yourself and being intentional about it.
- Giving yourself a second chance is the best way to pay it forward.
- Why you need to surround yourself with people with common futures, not a common past.
- The three words that we should all strive to live by.
- What is faith?
- Message to parents with children battling addiction.
- How focusing on small steps and easy wins leads to big things.
- The three A’s to remember when going through a hard time.
Links and Resources:
- The Adversity Advantage Podcast
- Book – From Felony to Fitness to Free
- Book – Faith Family Fitness
- Book – The Heart of Recovery